Home Education Delivered by the Council

Please note that all guidance in relation to education is based on laws and guidelines in relation to England. If you live in Wales, N. Ireland of Scotland please find the relevant Sen Code of Practice in my blogroll on the RHS of the page.

Many children with SEN are simply unable to access an education either at school or anywhere off site.  Some children may simply be too anxious and therefore to unwell to even leave the home. In these circumstances some parents may feel that de-registering their child and electively home educating may be the only option.

However, there is another option that is open to parents.  If both the parents and the local authority agree that the child’s needs would be most appropriately met by educating the child within the home, then this can be facilitated.

Under these circumstances the local authority remains responsible for ensuring that the child’s SEN needs are met and that the child receives a suitable education.  Therefore, the child remains on roll but is classed as educated at home or offsite.

This is explained in the Sen Code of Practice p.g. 215

10.31 In cases where local authorities and parents agree that home education is the right provision for a child or young person with an EHC plan, the plan should make clear that the child or young person will be educated at home. If it does then the local authority, under Section 42(2) of the Children and Families Act 2014, must arrange the special educational provision set out in the plan, working with the parents. Under Section 19 of the Act, a local authority must have regard to the views, wishes and feelings of the child and his or her parents, or the young person.

What if the council refuse this request?

You can challenge  the above aspects of your child’s EHCP if you are unhappy with them. You may decide to try mediation or if you do not want to go to mediation or if mediation has already been tried and failed you may decide to appeal to the SEND Tribunal

Please Note

In some cases you may be able to take your local authority to Judicial Review but you would need to appoint a solicitor to do this for you.

If you have the available finances or you are eligible for legal aid it may be beneficial to appoint a specialised SEN solicitor to guide you through the process as soon as you begin experiencing difficulties.

The following solicitors specialise in SEN but you would need to contact them directly in order to ensure if they accept legal aid. Also I cannot guarantee the quality of these services.

Maxwell GillottIrwin Mitchell and Sinclairs Law

For more information about PDA please view The PDA Society and The PDA Resource

For more advice on SEN please visit IPSEASend code of practice , SEN SOS and National Autistic Society – Helpline – Educational Rights

For advice on suitable strategies within education please visit Videos 6, 7, 8 and 9 by Neville StarnesEducation and handling strategies by Phil Christie, National Autistic Society – PDA Educational Strategies and Education booklet by Positive PDA


About janesherwin

I am the parent of a child diagnosed with Pathological Demand Avoidance Syndrome. My hopes and aims are to raise awareness of this complex Autism Spectrum Condition presentation.
This entry was posted in 2. Education, 6. Home Education delivered by the LA, Uncategorized and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

2 Responses to Home Education Delivered by the Council

  1. But how do you prove that the local “specialist” ASD school is not suitable..?


    • janesherwin says:

      This is a tough one rain poet but one that I shall attempt to answer. Many schools, whether it be a mainstream school, specialised school or an independent school can be suitable or unsuitabe for a child with PDA and this greatly depends on the ethos of the school and the flexibility, creativity and willingness to learn new strategies from the staff. A suitable specialist school for a child with PDA would ideally be well versed in PDA and be prepared to adopt those PDA specific strategies. If they aren’t then an ideal school would at least be willing to read, learn and accept training on PDA and to work in collaboration with parents. An ASD school that is set in its ways with traditional ASD strategies and is not willing to learn about and adapt to PDA may not be a good long term prospect for the child or the parents. On p.g. 138 of ‘Understanding PDA in Children’ Christie et al there is a good section on questions to ask when visiting schools which can help you to ascertain if a school is likely to be suitable or not and then to be able to justify and explain your reasons if you deem the school to not be suitable. If you cannot agree with your LA that the proposed school is not suitable and that the LA are insisting on naming the said school on your child’s EHCP then, if you are in the UK, you would need to appeal the LA’s decision at a tribunal.https://www.ipsea.org.uk/what-you-need-to-know/ehc-plans/choice-of-school-or-college and https://www.ipsea.org.uk/what-you-need-to-know/challenging-decisions

      Liked by 1 person

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s